Friday, June 1, 2012

Adventure Tyler







I really enjoyed helping take apart the steering gear box to fully understand how 'stuff' works.  When I was watching the videos on Sheppard, there seemed to be SO much to remember that I kind of got lost in all the tests and things.  As we took the gearbox apart I was able to see how the input shaft would actuate inside the piston.  We went so far as to take all the ball bearings out.
The only way that we could figure out how to get them back in was take some round stock and make some longer all threads out of them.  We then inserted them through the plate that the input shaft goes through and threaded them into the piston housing.  What this accomplished is keep the actuating shaft straight inside the cylinder to allow the bearings to go all the way around.  There were 31, so we needed room.
I never got to do a pressure or flow test on a steering system, but I look forward to finding time next week to doing some of the things over again that we've learned this quarter.






(I hear this guys lookin' for an intern)

1 comment:

  1. I've been through that pass Tyler. (~;

    What I am hoping you will learn is to do exactly what you did. Learn from multiple sources, keep an open mind, and pull the stick that way a little harder.

    ReplyDelete