Monday, May 6, 2013

SPQ13 Tracy

This past Thursday we went down to B&G Machine in Seattle as a class.  What a sight.  I have never spent time in a shop like that, so it was great to see one that is also an industry leader in what they do.  Out of all the mechanical work they do there, I think that what I took the most out of the tour was B&G's business model.  Johnny talked a lot about making sure that their employees are in line with what they as owners have as goals, both long term and short term.  So much of what he said was plain simple, honest business practices.  Kind of makes me wonder why more shops don't adopt those kinds of philosophies in their business practices.



Johnny showing us how they grind down the cranks

One of the guys showing us a refinishing of a cam

Another guy putting weights on the crank

Cutting the deck.  I think it was only taking off 0.020" at a time 

In the engine shop.  Putting her back together again

In the Dino.  Uses water in a funnel shape, and opens and closes the
funnel to create pressure differential.
Today I attempted to draw out a very simple hydraulic schematic for the new Peterbilt and for a winch/winless that was taken off one of the boats out back.  I feel somewhat comfortable in my skills at reading schematics.  It was a real test in how much I do know as far as hydraulic systems go, but also a real eye opener in how much I don't.  I now know I need to continue focusing on the basics.

Hours
Week: 32
Total: 180




No comments:

Post a Comment